Sunday, July 26, 2015

What’s in Your Hand?


What’s in Your Hand?

I can’t seem to get the phrase “What’s in Your Hand” out of my head.  It seems that that is the phrase that God has me contemplating lately. 

Honestly, up to this point, I had spent most of my time contemplating what is “not” in my hand.  I need a new car because mine won’t’ pass inspection without work that far exceeds the value of the car.  I need a house as the one I am living in is essentially owned by the state due to my mom’s nursing home debt.  I need a phone because the one that I have has reached the (planned by the phone company) end of its life and has snail-slow speed and erratic battery life.  I am a writer that writes far too little and hasn’t submitted much for publication lately.  I’m an aunt, sister, and daughter who isn’t deepening relationships.  These are the data points that consume most of my prayer life—what I don’t have. 
But God has been focusing me on something different- What’s in Your Hand?

So I intend to ask myself every day for the next 30 days, “What’s in Your Hand?”
Today is Sunday.  I will go to church, pick up some things for work at Costco and make a return at Office Max.  That should put me at about 1PM.  What I have in my hand is all of the people I will come in contact with and the balance of this day of Sabbath rest.  The big, un-replenishable thing I have in my hand is time.  I have the blessing of that time not having to be used on a project but a gift of rest.  Do I go to a park or a pool and read a good book? Do I take a hike and pray?  Do I go to a Pirate game?  Go visiting?

How do I use the gift of time in my hands today?

No comments:

Post a Comment